STAUFFER CHEMICAL COMPANY,
TARPON SPRINGS, PINELLA, FLORIDA
Based upon the information reviewed, we conclude that adverse
health effects from exposure to sulfur dioxide from the Stauffer Chemical Company
site between 1977 and 1981 are unlikely except in especially sensitive individuals.
As noted above, we do not have sufficient information to evaluate the likely
health effects from exposure to sulfur dioxide prior to the establishment of
the air monitoring station in 1977. If additional information becomes available
indicating exposure at levels of concern, Florida HRS will evaluate that information
to determine what actions, if any, are necessary.
Florida recommends that individuals, such as asthmatics, or anyone who may
have become sensitive to the effects of sulfur dioxide avoid exposure in the
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Preliminary
Public Health Assessment for Stauffer Chemical Company/Tarpon Springs, Pinellas
County, Tarpon Springs, Florida. Atlanta: ATSDR, August 4, 1993.
- Coalition Against the United States Exporting- Dolphins
(C.A. U.S.E.D). Letter to Bruce Tuovila, Florida HRS, from Mary Mosley concerning
air monitoring results at the Stauffer Chemical Company/Tarpon Springs plant.
September 30, 1995.
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection. Personal
communication to Bruce from Brian Kerckhoff concerning, air monitoring data
collected at Tuovila, Florida IM, Stauffer Chemical Company/Tarpon Springs.
Nov 9, 1995.
- NUS Corporation. Final Expanded Site Investigation Report,
Stauffer Chemical Company, Tarpon Springs, Pinellas County, Florida. 1989.
- NUS Corporation. Interim Final Listing Site inspection Report,
Stauffer Chemical Companv Site, Tarpon Springs, Pinellas County, Florida.
- Zeneca, Inc. Fact sheet describing site history, investi-ations,
and current status of Stauffer Chemical Co., Wilmington,. DE. March 12, 1993.
- Bureau of the Census, U.S. Department of Commerce, Washington,
DC, 1990 Census Data Files.
- Pinellas County Department of Environmental Manaoement.
Memorandum to Jacob Stowers from Joyce Gibbs regarding complaints filed against
Stauffer Chemical Co., EPA Air & Water Quality Division, Atlanta, GA. March
- Beliles, RP and Beliles, EM. Phosphorus, Selenium, Tellurium,
and Sulfur. In: Patty's industrial Hygiene and Toxicology, Vol. II, Part A,
Toxicolocy, 4th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1993: 807-811.
- Sittig M. Sulfur Dioxide. In: Handbook of Toxic and Hazardous Chemicals and Carcinogens, 2nd ed. Noyes Publications, 1985: 812-814.
Bruce J. Tuovila,
E. Randall Merchant,
This Stauffer Chemical Co. (Tarpon Springs Plant) Health Consultation was prepared by the Florida Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services under a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). It is in accordance with approved methodology and procedures existing, at the time the health consultation was begun.
Richard R. Kauffman, M.S.
Technical Project Officer
Remedial Programs Branch (RPB)
Division of Health Assessment and Consultation (DHAC)
The Division of Health Assessment and Consultation, ATSDR, has reviewed this health consultation, and concurs with its findings.
Sharon Williams-Fleetwood, Ph.D.
Chief, RPB, DHAC, ATSDR