NATIONAL LEAD INDUSTRIES, INCORPORATED
PEDRICKTOWN (OLDMANS TOWNSHIP), SALEM COUNTY, NEW JERSEY
|1)||Based upon available site data and information, the NLI site
currently presents no apparent public health hazard.
|2)||Based upon current site data and information, contaminants
are present in the soils and sediment in the vicinity of west stream and
back of the properties of residents adjoining the west stream at levels
of public health concern. Based upon the exposure assumptions cited above,
adults and children living adjacent to site were likely exposed to lead
in soils. However, blood lead levels measured in children residing near
site did not demonstrate lead levels of public health significance.
|3)||The ATSDR/NJDHSS have not identified any additional community
health concerns associated with sites related contaminants.
|4)||After a review of the most recent documents and the current site conditions for the NLI site, the ATSDR and the NJDHSS have determined that the remedial activities specified in the USEPA's workplan, when implemented, are sufficient to address remaining concerns of the ATSDR and the NJDHSS regarding the site and are consistent with protection of the public health.|
|1)||New environmental, toxicological, health outcome data, or changes in conditions as a result of implementing the proposed remedial plan, may determine the need for additional public health actions at NLI site.|
The Public Health Action Plan (PHAP) for the NLI site contains a description of the actions to be taken at or in the vicinity of the site. The purpose of the PHAP is to ensure that this health consultation identifies public health hazards, and provides a plan of action designed to mitigate and prevent adverse human health effects resulting from exposure to hazardous substances in the environment. The public health actions taken or to be implemented are as follows:
Actions Undertaken by ATSDR/NJDHSS:
|1)||Environmental data and proposed remedial activities have been
evaluated within the context of human exposure pathways and relevant public
|2)||A physician newsletter, Health and Hazardous Waste, prepared by Consumer and Environmental Health Service has been sent to Salem County physicians.|
Actions Planned by ATSDR/NJDHSS:
|1)||The NJDHSS is assessing the need for additional outreach to
the community regarding the NLI site. Dependant on need, an availability
session will be conducted to document and address community concerns.
|2)||The NJDHSS is preparing a site specific fact sheet for the
NLI site which will be made available to local health agencies an other
|3)||Physician education, in form of appropriate Case Studies in
Environmental Medicine and Salem County Environmental Resource Guides for
Health Care Professionals, will be provided to area physicians.
|4)||This consultation will be provided to the Salem County Health Department for distribution.|
ATSDR will reevaluate and expand the Public Health Action Plan (PHAP) when
needed. New environmental, toxicological, health outcome data, or the results
of implementing the above proposed actions may determine the need for additional
actions at this site.
This Health Consultation was prepared by the New Jersey Department of Health and Senior Services (NJDHSS) under a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). It is in accordance with approved methodology and procedures existing at the time the Health Consultation was begun.
Technical Project Officer
Superfund Site Assessment Branch (SSAB)
Division of Health Assessment and Consultation (DHAC)
The Division of Health Assessment and Consultation, ATSDR, has reviewed this Health Consultation and concurs with its findings.
Richard E. Gillig
Chief, SPS, SSAB, DHAC
- Record of Decision (ROD) - Operable Unit 1, NL Industries, Inc. Site, Pedricktown, Salem County, New Jersey. US Environmental Protection Agency, New York, New York. February 23, 1994.
- Residential Tap Sampling Report, NL Industries, Inc. Site, Pedricktown, Salem County, New Jersey. US Environmental Protection Agency, New York, New York. November 22, 1991.
- Record of Decision (ROD) - Operable Unit 2 , NL Industries, Inc. Site, Pedricktown, Salem County, New Jersey. US Environmental Protection Agency, New York, New York. September, 1991.
- Draft Focused Feasibility Study (Operable Unit 2), NL Industries, Inc. Site, Pedricktown, Salem County, New Jersey. US Environmental Protection Agency, New York, New York. June, 1991.
- Health Assessment for the , NL Industries, Inc. Site, Pedricktown, Salem County, New Jersey. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Atlanta, Ga. April 1989.
- Remedial Investigation/Feasibility Study Workplan, NL Industries, Inc. Site, Pedricktown, Salem County, New Jersey. US Environmental Protection Agency, New York, New York. May, 1987.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, (ATSDR) Draft Toxicological Profile for Lead, Atlanta. 1990.
- Emergency & Remedial Response Division/USEPA Region II:
-Remedial Project Manager/Environmental Engineer
- Salem County Department of Health:
-Senior Sanitary Inspector