LE MARS COAL GAS SITE
LE MARS, PLYMOUTH COUNTY, IOWA
Based on the information reviewed for the preparation of this health consultation, no apparent public health hazard exists or existed. However if data become available suggesting that human exposure to hazardous substances at levels of public health concern is occurring, or has occurred in the past, IDPH will reevaluate the need for any follow up.Additional groundwater and surface and subsurface soil sampling will be necessary to determine the extent of contamination.
Children's Health Conclusion: Based on available information and data reviewed regrading children's exposure and ultimately their health, we believe that no apparent health hazard exists or existed for children.
1. Collect additional groundwater and surface and subsurface soil sampling to determine the extent of contamination.
2. Focus efforts determining subsurface migration and delineation.
3. Locate additional groundwater monitoring wells downgradient of the site.
4. Collect additional analytical information (VOCs and SVOCs) for Municipal Wells No.4 and No. 8.
1. Ecology & Environment, Inc., Superfund Technical Assessment
and Response Team, Inspection Report, The Le Mars Coal Gas Site. Le Mars, Iowa.
2. Jim Conley, Le Mars Water Superintendent, Personal communication, April 20, 1998.
Health Assessment Team
Toxic Substances Evaluation Program
Division of Health Protection
Iowa Department of Public Health
ATSDR Regional Representative
Office of Regional Operations,
Region VII Office of the Assistant Administrator,
ATSDR ATSDR Technical Project Officer
Roberta (Bobbi) Erlwein Division of Health Assessment and Consultation
Superfund Site Assessment Branch
The Economy Products Company Site Health Consultation was prepared by the Iowa Department of Public Health, Toxic Substances Evaluation Program, under a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). It is in accordance with approved methodology and procedures existing at the time the health consultation was begun.