PETITIONED PUBLIC HEALTH ASSESSMENT
CALLERY CHEMICAL COMPANY
EVANS CITY, BUTLER COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA
1. Environmental data are not available to fully characterize this site for contaminants and toadequately define a completed pathway for off-site exposure. Therefore, the Callery Chemicalsite is classified as an indeterminate public health hazard. ATSDR was not able to evaluatepast, present, and future exposures.
2. The Pennsylvania Department of Health, Bureau of Epidemiology, evaluated the risk ofcommunities living in southwestern Butler County developing cancer. While differences in theincidence rates were found, they were not considered to be significant. Only the incidence ofbreast cancer reported in southwestern Butler County was observed to be elevated above anexpected number of cases. No increase from the expected incidence of brain cancer wasobserved in the southwestern Butler County community.
1. An evaluation and review of available environmental data are recommended to characterize this site.
1. ATSDR is currently working with the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resourcesand Callery Chemical Company to obtain sampling data.
2. ATSDR will review the data, when available, for plausible exposures and adverse health outcomes.
Adele M. Childress, PhD, MSPH
1. Draft Phase II RCRA Facility Assessment for Mine Safety Appliances Company, Evans City,Pennsylvania. EPA I.D. No. PaD004322913. A.T. Kearney, Inc. 225 Reinekers Lane,Alexandria, Virginia 22314. June 1993.
2. Pennsylvania Department of Health, State Center for Health Statistics and Research,Pennsylvania Cancer Incidence and Mortality, 1988-1992, February 1995.
3. Pennsylvania Department of Health, State Center for Health Statistics and Research, AnAnalysis of Cancer Incidence in Pennsylvania Counties, 1987-1991, July 1995.
4. Pennsylvania Department of Health, State Center for Health Statistics and Research, Numberof Cancer Cases by Selected Zip Codes, by Site and Year, Pennsylvania Residents, 1985-1992.
5. Pennsylvania Department of Health, State Center for Health Statistics and Research, Numberof Cancer Cases by Age, Sex and Race, Butler County Residents, Five-Year Summary, 1988-1992.