DETROIT, WAYNE COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Based on the available data and information, portions of the Packard Plant property are
considered a health hazard because of the physical hazards from the waste materials (including old
tires and bundled plastic) present and the decay of the building structures. Lead-containing paint
and asbestos-containing insulation are also present in the buildings. Large amounts of bird
droppings present in some parts of the complex potentially pose human health hazards.
Remove the trash and bird droppings in the buildings from the Packard Plant property while rehabilitating the property for future use.
Repair or demolish the buildings on the property to eliminate the physical hazards.
Use appropriate techniques to remove or encapsulate the lead-containing paint and asbestos-containing insulation during demolition or rehabilitation of the property so that workers and neighboring residents are not exposed to lead or asbestos.
New environmental data or information concerning the future use of this property may require future health consultations.
If any citizen has additional information or health concerns regarding the Packard Plant property,
please contact the Michigan Department of Community Health, Environmental Epidemiology
Division, at 1-800-648-6942.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Brownfields Redevelopment Assessment Work Plan for Packard Plant, Detroit, Michigan. May 17, 1996.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Unpublished laboratory data. August 12, 1997.
- Howard, A.J., MDNR ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, subject: Environmental Response Division Operational Memorandum #14 Revision 2: Remedial Action Plans Using Generic Industrial or Generic Commercial Cleanup Criteria or Other Requirements. June 6, 1995.
- Howard, A.J., MDNR ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, Subject: Interim Environmental Response Division Operational Memorandum #8, Revision 4: Generic Residential Cleanup Criteria. June 5, 1995.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological Profile for Lead, Update. ATSDR/TP-92/12. April 1993.
- Benenson, A.S., ed. Control of Communicable Diseases in Man. 15th ed. American Public Health Association. 1990.
- Acha, P.N., and Szyfres, B. Zoonoses and Communicable Diseases Common to Man and Animals. Pan American Health Organization. 1980.