SPARTAN CHEMICAL COMPANY
WYOMING, KENT COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Based on the available data and information, the soil on the properties adjacent to the Spartan
Chemical site do not appear to pose any health hazard to children playing on the property.
Several soil samples collected from the properties did contain arsenic or manganese at
concentrations potentially of health concern, however, those concentrations were localized and it
does not seem likely that anyone would spend enough time at those locations to be exposed to the
metals at the amounts that have resulted in adverse health effects in laboratory animals or in humans studied in epidemiologic studies.
MDCH makes no recommendations at this time.
New environmental data or information concerning the future use of this property may require future health consultations.
If any citizen has additional information or health concerns regarding the Spartan Chemical site,
please contact the Michigan Department of Community Health, Environmental Epidemiology Division, at 1-800-648-6942.
Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Spartan Chemical Superfund Site, Bulletin
#1. February 23, 1993.
- Beebe, S., MDNR Site Manager. Personal Communication. December 3, 1993.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. Interim Action Record of Decision for the Spartan Chemical Superfund Site. June 29, 1993.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Supplemental Fact Sheet to the Proposed Plan for an Interim Action at the Spartan Chemical Company Superfund Site, City of Wyoming, Kent County, Michigan. October 1997.
- Michigan Department of Public Health, for ATSDR. Preliminary Health Assessment for Spartan Chemical Company. April 10, 1989.
- Michigan Department of Public Health, for ATSDR. Site Review and Update for Spartan Chemical Company. August 30, 1994.
- Beebe, S., MDNR Site Manager. Letter to R. Vander Molen, Calvin Christian Junior High School, re: Soil Sampling Results. July 14, 1993.
- Howard, A.J., MDNR ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, subject: Environmental Response Division Operational Memorandum #14 Revision 2: Remedial Action Plans Using Generic Industrial or Generic Commercial Cleanup Criteria or Other Requirements. June 6, 1995.
- Howard, A.J., MDNR ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, Subject: Interim Environmental Response Division Operational Memorandum #8, Revision 4: Generic Residential Cleanup Criteria. June 5, 1995.
- Howard, A.J., MDEQ ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, Subject: Part 201 Generic Soil Inhalation Criteria for Ambient Air: Addendum to Interim Operational Memoranda #8, Revision 4 (June 5, 1995) and #14, Revision 2 (June 6, 1995). April 29, 1997.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Waste Management Division. Michigan Background Soil Survey. Revised April 1991.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological Profile for Arsenic, Update. ATSDR/TP-92/02. April 1993.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological Profile for Manganese, Update, Draft for Public Comment. September 1997.