STAN'S TRUCKING INCORPORATED
AVON TOWNSHIP (ROCHESTER HILLS), OAKLAND COUNTY, MICHIGAN
Available data and information indicate that subsurface materials, groundwater, and leachate on Stan's Trucking Incorporated (a/k/a Six Star Limited Landfill) property are contaminated with metals and volatile organic compounds. However, under current conditions, the property does not pose any apparent public health hazard. No apparent human exposure to contaminated media is occurring, even though access to the property is inadequately restricted. Surface soils on the property do not contain any elevated concentrations of any contaminant, and possible exposure to leachate breakouts is not likely to be frequent or sustained. Contamination in the groundwater reached nearby residential wells in the past, and contaminated wells have been replaced with connections to a municipal water system.
Assessors do not know any proposed uses for the property. Some scenarios for the future might
result in human exposure to waste or leachate, either for workers adapting the property to its
intended use or for future workers on the property.
Access to the property should be better restricted.
The cap over the former landfill should be maintained to prevent erosion and to correct leachate seepage.
Any future use of the property must be designed and carried out to prevent exposure to waste or leachate for workers, future users, and future residents.
Additional environmental data or information regarding the future use of this property may
indicate a need for future health consultations.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Brownfields redevelopment assessment work plan for Stan's Trucking Incorporated (a/k/a Six Star Limited Landfill), Rochester Hills, Michigan. March 27, 1997.
- Tesmer J. Conversation with MDCH personnel. June 5, 1997.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources. Screening site assessment report for Stan's Trucking, Inc. January 10, 1992.
- Michigan Department of Environmental Quality. Unpublished laboratory data. July 1997.
- Howard AJ, MDNR ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, subject: Environmental Response Division operational memorandum #14 Revision 2: Remedial action plans using generic industrial or generic commercial clean-up criteria or other requirements. June 6, 1995.
- Howard AJ, MDNR ERD. Memorandum to ERD staff, Subject: Interim Environmental Response Division operational memorandum #8, Revision 4: Generic residential clean-up criteria. June 5, 1995.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources, Waste Management Division. Michigan background soil survey. Revised April 1991.
- Howard AJ, MDEQ ERD. Draft memorandum to ERD staff, Subject: Interim generic utility worker contact criteria: Addendum to interim operational memoranda #8, Revision 4 (June 5, 1995) and #14, Revision 2 (June 6, 1995). April 12, 1996.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological profile for di(2-ethylhexyl)phthalate, update. ATSDR/TP-92/05. April 1993.
Figure 1. Stan's Trucking
Michigan Department of Community Health
- John Filpus, Environmental Engineer
Robin Freer, Resource Specialist
James Bedford, Environmental Toxicologist
Brendan Boyle, Principal Investigator
ATSDR Regional Representative
Regional Services, Region V
Office of the Assistant Administrator
ATSDR Technical Project Officer
Division of Health Assessment and Consultation
Superfund Site Assessment Branch
The Stan's Trucking Incorporated Health Consultation was prepared by the Michigan Department of Community Health under a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). It is in accordance with approved methodology and procedures existing at the time the health consultation was initiated.
Technical Project Officer, SPS, SSAB, DHAC
The Division of Health Assessment and Consultation, ATSDR, has reviewed this health consultation and concurs with its findings.
Adrienne Hollis for R. Gillig
Chief, SPS, SSAB, DHAC, ATSDR