TRI-STATE TANK CLEANING INCORPORATED
(a/k/a FORD BROTHERS)
COAL GROVE, LAWRENCE COUNTY, OHIO
Under current and potential future conditions, the TCE plume originating from the Tri-State Tank site poses a public health hazard to the residents of Coal Grove. Although exposure in the past to 20 ppb TCE should not result in any short-term or long-term health effects, continued use of water containing that level should be avoided because public water supplies are required to contain no more than 5 ppb, the possible health effects of using water containing that level are not well understood, and potential exists for the levels to increase.
Vinyl chloride, which is more harmful to children and is a known human carcinogen, is present in groundwater on the site. The potential for vinyl chloride to reach the Coal Grove’s production wells is great; some of the TCE currently in the production well could degrade to vinyl chloride in the future.
If currently used production wells become contaminated or unusable, over 5,600 people could be without drinking water at a reasonable cost.
Continue monitoring production wells that are still in use to be sure that TCE and vinyl chloride do not contaminate those wells.
Consider removing the source of the contamination at Tri-State Tank site to prevent future and continued groundwater contamination.
Develop a contingency plan to provide drinking water to Coal Grove residents should current production wells become contaminated or become unusable.
- USEPA, On-Scene Coordinator’s Report about Tri-State Tank Cleaning, Coal Grove, Lawrence County, OH, May 17, 1994
- OEPA (Ohio Environmental Protection Agency). Correspondence from Ms. Kay Gilmer, Site Coordinator, to Mr. Jason El-Zein, Chief Emergency Response Branch of USEPA, regarding Tri-State Tank Cleaning, Inc. May 23, 1997.
- Ohio EPA, DDAGW-SEDO, Letter to Mayor and Council of Coal Grove Village, September 22, 1997.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, ToxFAQs about TCE.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Toxicological Profile for Trichloroethylene September, 1997
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Toxicological Profile for Vinyl Chloride April 1993.
This Tri-State Tank Cleaning Site Health Consultation was prepared by the Ohio Department of Health under a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). It is in accordance with approved methodology and procedures existing at the time the public health assessment was begun.
Gail D. Godfrey,
Technical Project Officer, SPS, SSAB, DHAC
The Division of Health Assessment and Consultation, ATSDR, has reviewed this public health consultation and concurs with the findings.
Chief, SPS, SSAB, DHAC, ATSDR