USAF BROOKS AIR FORCE BASE
SAN ANTONIO, BEXAR COUNTY, TEXAS
CONCLUSIONS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
The conclusions of this health consultation were reviewed by and discussed with the TDH, TNRCC, EPA and U.S. Geological Survey. These agencies agreed with the conclusions reached and recommendations made.
ATSDR has derived the following conclusions, based on our evaluation of the exposure potential and on examination of available toxicological and epidemiological information:
- The low levels of VOCs in the groundwater in the vicinity of FPTA2 are not a public health hazard because the water is not used for domestic purposes, such as drinking or bathing.
- The low levels of VOCs in groundwater in the FPTA2 vicinity do not present a possible public health hazard from exposure to VOCs in soil gas.
- The low levels of VOCs in groundwater do not present a public health hazard from exposure to water that might discharge into local surface water bodies.
- Treatment plant air and water discharges are closely monitored and regulated by state and federal oversight. Monitoring has not detected contaminants at levels that would constitute a possible health concern. Therefore, the release of treated air and water from these systems is not a public health hazard.
Additional copies of this health consultation can be obtained by contacting the following address:
Chief, Program Evaluation, Records & Information Services Branch
Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
1600 Clifton Road, NE, Mail Stop E-56
Atlanta, Georgia 30333
Community members who would like additional information about the public health assessment may call ATSDR's Regional Representative, George Pettigrew, at 214/665-8361, or Jeff Kellam, ATSDR Health Assessor, in Atlanta, Georgia, at (800) 447-1544. Callers should refer to Brooks Air Force Base when calling ATSDR regarding this health consultation.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 1996, Public Health Evaluation of Brooks Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas, April 1996.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 1996, Correspondence to the Honorable Frank Tejeda, May 1996.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 1996, Correspondence to the Honorable Ciro Rodriguez, January 29, 1998.
- Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence, 1993, Installation Restoration Program, Removal of Soil and Tanks at the Central Accumulation Site, Phase I Drilling, Sampling and Analytical Results for Brooks Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas, September, 1993.
- Texas Natural Resources Conservation Commission, 1995, Standard Exemption Registration No. 28889, Groundwater and Soil Remediation, San Antonio, Bexar County, November 10, 1995.
- The Honorable Frank Tejeda, 1996, Correspondence to ATSDR, March 8, 1996.
- The Honorable Ciro Rodriguez, 1997, Correspondence to ATSDR, September 22, 1997.
- Brooks Air Force Base Installation Restoration Program, 1998, Groundwater TCE Contamination December 1997, Fire Protection Training Area #2 Semi-Annual Monitoring Report, January 16, 1998.
- Brooks Air Force Base Installation Restoration Program, 1994, Water Well Survey for Brooks AFB, June 1994.
- ATSDR, 1997, Toxicological Profile for Trichloroethylene, (Update), September 1997.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1993, Seminar on Characterizing and Remediating Dense Nonaqueous Phase Liquids at Hazardous Sites, EPA/600/K-93/003, May 1993.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, 1998, Record of Communication, US. Geologic Survey, Water Resources Division, San Antonio, Texas, March 30, 1998.
- ATSDR, 1998, Record of Communication, US EPA Region 4, March 4, 1998.
- ATSDR, 1998, Record of Communication, TNRCC, March 3, 1998.