PUBLIC HEALTH ASSESSMENT
REVERE TEXTILE PRINTS CORPORATION
STERLING, WINDHAM COUNTY, CONNECTICUT
The Revere Textile Prints Corporation, Superfund Site in Sterling Connecticut represent no apparent
public health hazard related to the chemical contamination. Physical hazards exist on site, however,
that represent a public health hazard. While some contamination of soils, sediments and surface
water have been detected, no completed exposure pathways have been identified. In addition, the
contaminants at the site were not detected in concentrations likely to result in adverse health effects if exposures were to occur.
Measures should be taken, as soon as possible, to restrict access to the site or remove the physical hazards present at the site.
Health Activities Recommendation Panel
The data and information evaluated in the public health assessment for the Revere Textile Prints
Corporation, Sterling, Connecticut have been reviewed be ATSDR's Health Activities
Recommendation Panel for Appropriate follow-up with respect to health actions. The panel
determined that no follow-up health actions are indicated in relation to the chemical contamination
at the site. If data or information become available suggesting that human exposure to hazardous
substances, at levels of public health concern, is currently occurring or has occurred in the past,
ATSDR will reevaluate this site for any indicated follow-up.
The Public Health Action Plan (PHAP) for the Revere Textile Prints Corporation site contains a description of actions to be taken by the US EPA, ATSDR, the Connecticut Department of Health Services, and/or the Town of Sterling at and near the site subsequent to the completion of this public health assessment. The purpose of the PHAP is to ensure that this public health assessment not only identifies public health hazards, but provides a plan of action designed to mitigate and prevent adverse human health effects resulting from exposure to hazardous substances in the environment. Included, is a commitment on the part of the ATSDR/CTDHS to follow-up on this plan to ensure that it is implemented. The public health actions taken or to be implemented to address the physical hazards are as follows:
- The Town of Sterling has removed the underground storage tanks and has backfilled the remaining holes.
- The Town has demolished the structure closest to the road.
- The Town is awaiting a grant which they intend to use for the demolition of the remaining buildings on site.**
The ATSDR and CTDHS will coordinate with the appropriate agencies regarding actions to be taken in response to those recommendations provided in this public health assessment for which no plan of action has yet been developed.
The ATSDR will provide an annual follow-up to the PHAP, outlining the actions completed and those in progress. This report will be placed in repositories that contain copies of this Public Health Assessment, and will be provided to persons who request it.
** March 1993 correspondence from the town's attorney indicated that the Town has received a
grant from the state of Connecticut in the amount of $75,000.00 to assist in the demolition and
removal of the existing buildings and for Site grading. In addition, it is expected that the pond at
the center of the Site will be filled.
The Public Health Assessment for the Revere Textile Prints Corporation site was prepared by the Connecticut Department of Health Services under a cooperative agreement with the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). It is in accordance with approved methodology and procedures existing at the time the public health assessment was initiated.
Gregory V. Ulirsch
Technical Project Officer, SPS, RPB, DHAC
The Division of Health Assessment and Consultation (DHAC), ATSDR, has reviewed this Public Health Assessment and concurs with its findings.
Robert C. Williams
Division Director, DHAC, ATSDR
Jennifer Carnes Kertanis
Environmental Epidemiology and Occupational Health
Connecticut Department of Health Services
ATSDR REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVE
Senior Regional Representative
Office of the Assistant Administrator
ATSDR TECHNICAL PROJECT OFFICER
Environmental Health Engineer
State Programs Section
Remedial Programs Branch
Division of Health Assessment and Consultation
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological Profile for Copper. Atlanta, Georgia: ATSDR, December 1990: DHHS publication no(PHS)TP-90-08.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological Profile for Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons. Atlanta, Georgia: ATSDR, December 1990: DHHS publication no(PHS)TP-90-20.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Toxicological Profile for Lead. Atlanta, Georgia: ATSDR, October 1991: DHHS publication Draft.
- TRC Companies, Inc., "Final Sampling and Analysis Plan, Revere Textile Prints Corporation, Sterling, CT," September 1990
- TRC Companies, Inc., "Final Field Sampling and Analysis Plan Phase IIB, Revere Textile Prints Corporation, Sterling, CT," September 1991.
- TRC Companies, Inc., "Pathway Analysis Report, Revere Textile Prints Corporation, Sterling, CT, Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessments-Drafts," March 11, 1992.
- TRC Companies, Inc., "Technical Directive Memorandum Phase IIA Final Report, Revere Textile Prints Corporation, Sterling, CT," December 1991.
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, "Preliminary Assessment, Revere Textile Prints Corporation, Sterling, CT," October 1983.
- U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census. 1990 Census of Population and Housing.