On This Page
ATSDR Offers Free Health Classes for Mossville and Calcasieu Parish Residents
Calcasieu County, Mossville, Louisiana
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Residents of Mossville and Calcasieu Parish can learn more about health topics such as environmental health, cancer, and heart disease in a series of free classes offered by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) during March and April.
The series of free classes, titled “It’s All About Your Health,” are in response to community surveys in which residents said they wanted access to more health information, and are based on health questions shared by residents. ATSDR has been working in the community since 1997 to look into possible health effects from environmental exposures.
“ATSDR is committed to working with community members and being an advocate to help communities dealing with potential environmental hazards,” said Acting ATSDR Director Henry Falk in a letter to area residents about the classes.
From March 13 to April 10, four different topics will be offered each Saturday. The classes begin at 9 a.m. and will be repeated in the afternoon beginning at 1 p.m. People can come for any or all of the classes. Residents do not need to sign up to attend the classes. No classes will be held April 3 because of the Easter holiday.
On Saturday, March 13, classes will be held at Knights of Columbus Hall, 1515 Garfield St., Westlake, LA.
March 13 classes are:
- 9:00 AM or 1:00 PM: Raising healthy kids
- 10:00 AM or 2:00 PM: Taking care of high blood pressure
- 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM: Taking care of heart disease
- 12:00 PM or 4:00 PM: Why should I quit smoking?
On March 20, March 27, and April 10, classes will be at Sulphur Regional Library 1160 Cypress St., Sulphur, LA.
March 20 classes are:
- 9:00 AM or 1:00 PM: Taking Care of My Asthma
- 10:00 AM or 2:00 PM: What is Dioxin?
- 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM: Undercover Health: What you need to know about STDs
- 12:00 PM or 4:00 PM: Women and Reproductive Health
March 27 classes are:
- 9:00 AM or 1:00 PM: Rashes-What causes them?
- 2:00 PM: Healthy eating (No class at 10:00 a.m.)
- 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM: Living an active life
- 12:00 PM or 4:00 PM: Environmental Health & Youth
April 10 classes are:
- 9:00 AM or 1:00 PM: Cancer & You
- 10:00 AM or 2:00 PM: Air Pollution-How to be safe
- 11:00 AM or 3:00 PM: Exposure: How to prevent or reduce it
- 12:00 PM or 4:00 PM” Taking care of breathing problems
For more information, community members can contact Maria Terán-Maciver at 770-488-0720 or toll free at 1-800-CDC-INFO.
For more information about ATSDR’s work in Mossville and Calcasieu Parish, visit http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/sites/mossville.
Media inquiries should go to the ATSDR press office, 770-488-0700.
ATSDR, a federal public health agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, evaluates the human health effects of exposure to hazardous substances.
Related News Releases For Calcasieu County, Mossville, Louisiana
ATSDR Releases Health Consultation and Community Reports for Mossville and Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana
Release Date: Tuesday, July 09, 2013
The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) released a comprehensive health evaluation of environmental contaminants that could pose a health risk to the residents of Mossville and Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana. The evaluation consists of a health consultation and two community reports.
ATSDR will conduct a follow-up dioxin exposure investigation (EI) in Mossville, Louisiana
Release Date: Monday, November 26, 2001
The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), a public health agency of the U.S. Department Health and Human Services, will conduct a follow-up dioxin exposure investigation (EI) in Mossville, Louisiana, November 26 - 29, 2001.