- Graber MA, Beaty L. 1999. Otolaryngology: nose. In: University of Iowa Family Practice Handbook. 3rd ed. Chapter 19. Ames (IA): University of Iowa.
- Austin H, Delzell E, Cole P. 1988. Benzene and leukemia. A review of the literature and a risk assessment. Am J Epidemiol 127(3):419-39.
- Goldstein BD. 1998. Benzene toxicity. State Art Rev Occup Med 3:541-54.
- Marcus WL. 1987. Chemical of current interest-benzene. Toxicol Ind Health 3(1):205-66.
- Snyder R, Witz G, Goldstein BD. 1993. The toxicology of benzene. Environ Health Perspect 100:293-306.
- Aksoy M. 1989. Hematotoxicity and carcinogenicity of benzene. Environ Health Perspect 82:193-217.
- Aksoy M. 1985. Benzene as a leukemogenic and carcinogenic agent. Am J Ind Med 8:9-20.
- Collins JJ, Conner P, Friedlander BR, et al. 1991. A study of the hematologic effects of chronic low-level exposure to benzene. J Occup Med 33(5):619-26.
- Dosemeci M, Li GL, Hayes RB, et al. 1994. Cohort study among workers exposed to benzene in China. II: exposure assessment. Am J Ind Med 26(3):401-11.
- Hayes RB, Yin S-N, Dosemeci M, et al. 1997. Benzene and the dose-related incidence of hematologic neoplasms in China. J Natl Cancer Inst 89:1065-71.
- Infante PF, Rinsky RA, Wagoner JK, et al. 1977. Leukemia in benzene workers. Lancet 2:76-8.
- Infante PF, White MC. 1985. Projections of leukemia risk associated with occupational exposure to benzene. Am J Ind Med 7:403-13.
- Kwong YL, Chan TK. 1993. Toxic occupational exposures and paroxysmal nocturnal haemoglobinuria. Lancet 341:443.
- Landrigan PJ. 1996. Benzene and blood: One hundred years of evidence [editorial]. Am J Ind Med 29:225-6.
- Rothman N, Li G-L, Dosemeci M, et al. 1996. Hematotoxicity among Chinese workers heavily exposed to benzene. Am J Ind Med 29:236-46.
- Runion HE, Scott LM. 1985. Benzene exposure in the United States, 1978-1983: an overview. Am J Ind Med 7:385-93.
- Snyder R, Kalf GF. 1994. A perspective on benzene leukemogeneis. Crit Rev Toxicol 24(3):177-209.
- Ward E, Hornung R, Morris J, et al. 1996. Risk of low red or white blood cell count related to estimated benzene exposure in a rubberworker cohort (1940-1975). Am J Ind Med 29:247-57.
- Yin S-N, Hayes RB, Linet MS, et al. 1996. A cohort study of cancer among benzene-exposed workers in China: overall results. Am J Ind Med 29:227-35.
- Cox LA Jr, Ricci PF. 1992. Reassessing benzene cancer risks using internal doses. Risk Anal 12(3):401-10.
- Crump KS. 1994. Risk of benzene-induced leukemia: a sensitivity analysis of the Pliofilm cohort with additional follow-up and new exposure estimates. J Toxicol Environ Health 42(2):219-42.
- Hallenbeck WH, Flowers RE. 1992. Risk analysis for worker exposure to benzene. Environ Manage 16(3):415-20.
- Paxton MB, Chinchilli VM, Breet SM, et al. 1994. Leukemia risk associated with benzene exposure in the Pliofilm cohort. II: Risk estimates. Risk Anal 14(2):155-61.
- Rinsky RA, Smith AB, Hornung R, et al. 1987. Benzene and leukemia: an epidemiologic risk assessment. N Engl J Med 316:1044-9.
- Voytek PE, Thorslund TW. 1991. Benzene risk assessment: status of quantifying the leukemogenic risk associated with the low-dose inhalation of benzene. Risk Anal 11(3):355-7.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. 1997. Toxicological profile for benzene (update). Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services.
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. 1999. Threshold limit values for chemical substances and physical agents and biological exposure indices. Cincinnati (OH): American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists.
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. 1999. NIOSH pocket guide to chemical hazards. Cincinnati (OH): National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Available from URL: www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/pgdstart.html.
- National Library of Medicine. 2000. Hazardous Substances Database. Bethesda (MD): National Library of Medicine. Available from URL: toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/.
- US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Ground Water and Drinking Water. 2000. Current drinking water standards. Washington (DC): Environmental Protection Agency. Available from URL: www.epa.gov/safewater/mcl.html.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 1998. Carcinogenic effects of benzene: an update. Washington (DC): National Center for Environmental Health, Office of Research and Development. Report No. EPA/600/P-97/001F.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 1999. Extrapolation of the benzene inhalation unit risk estimate to the oral route of exposure. Washington (DC): National Center for Environmental Health, Office of Research and Development. Report No. NCEA-W-0517.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 1984. Health effects assessment for benzene. Cincinnati (OH): US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Health and Environmental Assessment. Report No. EPA/540/1-86/037.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 2000. Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) file for benzene. Washington (DC): US Environmental Protection Agency.
- US Environmental Protection Agency. 1985. Drinking water criteria document on benzene. Final draft. Washington (DC): US Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Drinking Water. Report No. PB86-118122.