Chemical Mixtures Program
Program Assessment Objectives
- Develop Interactions Profiles. Similar to the Agency toxicological profiles, these documents summarize the health effects caused by exposure to chemicals in a mixture.
- Develop a Guidance Manual for the Assessment of Joint Toxic Action of Chemical Mixtures. A manual to assist health assessors in determining the impact of chemical mixture exposure on public health.
- Develop Minimal Risk Level (MRLs) for chemical mixtures. Use existing methods to derive health guidance values for mixtures such as chlorinated dibenzodioxins (CDDs) and polybrominated biphenyls (PBBs).
- Perform weight of evidence analyses for combinations of chemicals. These analyses are used to predict the influence of one chemical on the health effects of another chemical.
- Conduct laboratory studies in collaboration with the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences and TNO Nutrition and Food Research Institute (The Netherlands) to validate weight of evidence analyses.