The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) is an independent public health agency located in Atlanta, GA. The Agency's mission is to provide communities with information they can use to protect their health.ATSDR often assists state and local health departments with environmental public health issues.
ATSDR is an advisory agency. ATSDR personnel conduct public health activities to provide authorities such as the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and health departments with information needed to guide their decision-making.
ATSDR's first priority is to ensure that the Alexandria community has the information it needs regarding air quality in the area.
Through our work, we will
- Estimate how much a certain pollutant is in the air you breathe
- Provide information about ways to decrease your contact with or exposure to a pollutant
- If a problem is found, make appropriate public health recommendations
ATSDR does not have the authority to
- Provide medical care, diagnosis of health problems or treatment
- Move a person from their home if a problem is found
- Make a facility or organization implement our recommendations