Health StudiesUpdated FactsheetDrexel University
Geisinger Health System
- Conducting a study to look for risk factors for MPNs in part of northeast Pennsylvania.
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
- Learning more about how often people with a mutation in the JAK2 gene get MPNs
- Looking at how MPN patients are diagnosed and treated.
- Learning more about how common JAK2 mutations are in people living in northeast Pennsylvania
University of Pittsburgh
- Looking at whether there are genetic differences between PV patients living in a Pennsylvania tri-county area and patients living in other areas.
- Developing a test to find out how some chemicals might affect cells. This may lead to clues about whether there is a relationship between PV and exposure to these chemicals.
- School of Public Health is conducting a study to learn more about the number of MPN cases reported.
- Cancer Institute is studying a four-county area in Pennsylvania to learn more about how many residents have MPNs.
The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection is gathering more information about the environment where a PV cluster was identified by
- Sampling drinking water, dust, and soil at the homes of study participants.
- Testing water and sediment from McAdoo Superfund Site.
- Sampling water from area cogeneration plants.