STAMINA MILLS, INCORPORATED
NORTH SMITHFIELD, PROVIDENCE COUNTY, RHODE ISLAND
- The levels of TCE and other VOCs in some, former, drinking water wells at the Stamina Mills site do not currently pose a public health threat because the levels are below levels which would be expected to cause adverse health effects. However, if the phase II groundwater monitoring and subsequent sampling activities do not continue to provide full-scale groundwater treatment, migrating contaminated plume might impact any drinking water wells in the future. Such potential exposure might cause congenital heart disease, eye and ear abnormalities, and leukemias in children born to mothers who could be potentially exposed to high levels of TCE. A similar, potential, exposure to high levels of vinyl chloride might result to less serious liver problems including hepatoma.
- Some of the homes with private wells in the area of the contaminated plume have been connected to public water supply. There is no further indication that those private wells are being used for potable water purposes.
- There are private wells in use in the area that have not been tested since 1993, and are not connected to public water supply.
- Enforce stricter restrictions of the use of contaminated private wells in the area as an urgent matter, for example, conduct private well surveys, test private wells periodically, and connect all households with contaminated private wells to public water supply.
- Continue the quarterly, groundwater, monitoring and subsequent sampling to further assess the status of contaminants in the plume. This recommendation is important because the 1995 and 1996 groundwater monitoring data indicates that concentrations of contaminants are shown to fluctuate, and that the TCE-contaminated plume appears to be migrating.
ATSDR will continue to review environmental data for public
health purposes as it becomes available. If you have questions
about this consultation, please contact Ms Susanne Simon, ATSDR
Regional Representative at 617-223-5526; or Dr. Moses Kapu with
ATSDR at 404-639-0628 or 800-447-1544. The 800 number is a free
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Site Review and Update for Stamina Mills, Inc., North Smithfield, Providence County, Rhode Island. September 1993.
- Eastern Research Group, Inc. Report on the Stamina Mills, Inc. Site, North Smithfield, Providence County, Rhode Island. Prepared for the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, Division of Health Assessment and Consultation, Atlanta, Georgia. ATSDR Contract No. 205-95-0901; Task Order No. 0901-07. April 1996.
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. Preliminary Public Health Assessment for Stamina Mills Inc. Site, North Smithfield, Providence County, Rhode Island. November 1988.
- Environmental and Safety Designs. Inc. Tenth Quarter - September/October 1995, Phase II Groundwater Monitoring Report Stamina Mills Superfund Site, North Smithfield, Rhode Island. Prepared for Kayser-Roth Corporation, Greensboro, North Carolina. USEPA Docket No. I-91-1070. January 1995.
- Environmental and Safety Designs. Inc. Eleventh Quarter - March 1996, Phase II Groundwater Monitoring Report Stamina Mills Superfund Site, North Smithfield, Rhode Island. Prepared for Kayser-Roth Corporation, Greensboro, North Carolina. USEPA Docket No. I-91-1070. May 1996.
Review and Approval of Health Consultation for Groundwater Monitoring Data, Stamina Mills Site, North Smithfield, Rhode Island
Section Chief, Section A, SSAB,DHAC