ATSDR Brownfields Dose Calculator
What is the ATSDR Dose Calculator?
The ATSDR Brownfields Dose Calculator is a computer program that allows users to estimate the amount of a toxic substance an individual may be exposed to (dose).
New! Download the Dose Calculator [Access - 26.4 MB]
If prompted, please select "Save" or "Save as" to save the file to your computer or network drive. Then double-click the downloaded file to launch the tool.
What are some features of the ATSDR Dose Calculator?
- Save and retrieve dose estimates
- Select from four scenarios: Air, Soil, Water, Fish consumption
- Allows users to customize exposure parameters (e.g., age of people exposed, quantity of soil/water/fish ingested, number of days exposed, surface areas exposed [arms, legs, feet, hands, torso, head] ).
- Incorporates sophisticated computational algorithms to estimate exposure doses for skin contact scenarios
- Calculates cancer risk estimations for chemicals containing cancer risk factors
- Displays ATSDR and EPA health comparison values
- Checks for updates and allows users to install newer versions while keeping existing saved data
- Assist reviewers of brownfields/Land Reuse data
What entities are using the ATSDR Dose Calculator?
Local Health Departments and those involved with Brownfield and Land Reuse sites may find it helpful. This tool is provided as a screening tool to get a basic understanding of dose estimates to guide reuse planning for Brownfield Sites. The results from this tool should not be used to evaluate communities that may be exposed to hazards waste or to make public health decisions about past and current exposures.
Who should not use the ATSDR Brownfields Dose Calculator?
While this tool can provide assistance with Brownfield Site reuse, it should not be used by ATSDR health assessors for evaluating site-specific data associated with exposures in a community. ATSDR Public Health Assessments and Health Consultations require a more thorough approach to evaluating these exposures which goes beyond the capability of the Brownfield Dose Calculator.
For additional information
Contact Laurel Berman at (312) 886-7476, Leann Bing at (404) 747-4451 or Gary Perlman at (617) 918-1492, or e-mail us, or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Page last reviewed: June 7, 2010
- Page last updated: September 12, 2016
- Content source: