The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) has accepted a petition to conduct public health assessment activities for the CSX Rail Yard and the former Atlanta Gas Light Manufactured Gas Plant in the community of Waycross, Georgia. These evaluations will be conducted by the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) under ATSDR guidance and oversight. ATSDR will provide DPH with subject matter expert support and will review, clear, and certify the reports before they are released for public comment and finalized.
The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH), under ATSDR oversight, has completed its initial public health assessment report on the CSX Rail Yard site in Waycross, Georgia. DPH and ATSDR released the report for public for comment on June 7, 2018. The public comment period ends on July 23, 2018.
ATSDR and DPH will be available in person for questions at the CSX Rail Yard Public Health Assessment Public Availabilty Session.
Date: June 21
Location: Waycross City Auditorium
Time: 2-4 pm or 6-8 pm
The Public Health Assessment Process
During the public health assessment process DPH, with ATSDR guidance and oversite, will:
- Listen to, and make a list of, your health concerns.
- Collect and assess environmental health data.
- Provide health education and outreach to the community.
- Write two public health assessment reports
- Release the draft reports to the community
- Community members can provide comments on the reports.
- DPH will address all comments in the final reports, and will include all comments in the appendix of the reports.
- Release two final reports.
- Provide a fact sheet that tells you:
- if you may have been or are being exposed to site chemicals
- if exposure happens how your health could be affected.
- Page last reviewed: June 8, 2018
- Page last updated: June 8, 2018
- Content source: