The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) has accepted a petition to conduct public health consultation activities for the CSX Rail Yard and the former Atlanta Gas Light Manufactured Gas Plant in the community of Waycross, Georgia. These evaluations will be conducted by the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) under ATSDR guidance and oversight. ATSDR will provide DPH with subject matter expert support and will review, clear, and certify the reports before they are released for public comment and finalized.
The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) has completed its initial health consultation report on the CSX site in Waycross, Georgia. ATSDR will review the report and provide recommendations to DPH for consideration. DPH will complete the draft report, and ATSDR will release the report for public for comment. The public comment period is typically 30 days.
The Public Health Consultation Process
During the health consultation process DPH, with ATSDR guidance and oversite, will:
- Listen to, and make a list of, your health concerns.
- Collect and assess environmental health data.
- Provide health education and outreach to the community.
- Write two health consultation reports
- Release the draft reports to the community
- Community members can provide comments on the reports.
- DPH will address all comments in the final reports, and will include all comments in the appendix of the reports.
- Release two final reports.
- Provide a fact sheet that tells you:
- if you may be exposed to site chemicals
- if exposure happens how your health could be affected.
- Page last reviewed: February 7, 2017
- Page last updated: February 7, 2017
- Content source: