Oak Ridge Reservation: Guidelines and Procedures Assessment Work Group
Guidelines and Procedures Assessment Work Group
June 26, 2002 - Meeting Minutes
Objectives for This Meeting:
- Determine whether or not we want to proceed with the
Recommendation to amend By-Laws.
- If so, we need to settle on the language.
- Revise the 6/23/2002 Rough Draft of Guidelines for
Work Group Chairs: Facilitation of More Effective Meetings
- Introduce participants.
- Refine and polish the Recommendation to the Subcommittee which amends the By-Laws of the ORRHES regarding work group participation and member voting. Jan Connery of ERG may join us on the phone for the first 15-20 minutes to help “word-smith” this recommendation. (Karen - 30 min. - 30% - DISCUSSION AND DECISION)
- Revise and comment on the rough draft (6/23/2002) of “Guidelines for Work Group Chairs: Facilitation of More Effective Meetings.” (Group - 1 hour - 50% - DISCUSSION)
- Set date for 2nd draft of Guidelines document to be distributed (Karen - 5 min. - 5% - DECISION)
- New issues (Karen - 10 min. - 10% - INFORMATION)
- Review of action items (Karen - 5 min. - 5% - INFORMATION)
- Adjourn meeting
Karen Galloway, Chair
Jack Hanley, ATSDR (phone)
Bill Murray, ATSDR
- Introduce participants - The roll was called.
- Refine and polish the Recommendation to the Subcommittee
which amends the By-Laws of the ORRHES regarding work
group participation and member voting. - The discussion
on this item focused on the need to make the public welcome
to participate fully in Work Group (WG) meetings, but
that they need to prepare for the meetings and understand
the issues being discussed. Not allowing the public to
vote on issues would send a negative signal to the public
and would be contrary to what the ORRHES wants to achieve.
The responsibility for integrating the public into the
WG activities falls on the Chair.
Motion: The Guidelines and Procedures WG recommends to the ORRHES that their initial recommendation to amend the By-Laws regarding participation by public members in the WGs is withdrawn.
The motion was passed unanimously.
- Revise and comment on the rough draft (6/23/2002) of “Guidelines
for Work Group Chairs: Facilitation of More Effective
Meetings.” - The Guidelines drafted by Karen Galloway
and reviewed by Jan Connery, ERG, Inc., were complimented
by those present. The discussion covered much ground
and several issues were identified:
- The need for the WG Chair to summarize the proceedings during the meeting.
- Members participating by teleconference need to be recognized.
- The agendas should include a short description of the topic for discussion.
- The WG Chairs should be firm but fair in keeping the meeting progressing.
- Good meeting minutes are essential.
- Participants should be encouraged to document their issues on a concerns form.
- Diverse skills are needed by WG Chairs and support staff; provide info to ATSDR.
- Control of meetings is critical; WG Chairs need assistance.
- Set date for 2nd draft of Guidelines document to be distributed - Date set by email was 07/16/02.
- New issues - No new issues were raised. Discussion continued on skill sets for WG Chairs, administrative support needed at ATSDR’s Oak Ridge Field Office and the skill sets the support person should have, and the time WG members and are already spending on WG activities that could be done by a support person. In addition ATSDR staff is being diverted away from work on the public health assessment to work on other issues. Make a recommendation to resolve this issue through ORRHES to ATSDR.
- Review of action items - Work on Guidelines for facilitating
meetings and skill sets for support staff.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 pm.