Step 1.5 Using Comparison Values
ATSDR’s comparison values are based on
- Chemical-specific toxicologic information derived from human and animal studies.
- The conservative assumption that a person will come in contact with the chemical every day throughout the exposure period.
A list of comparison values commonly used in public health assessments.
Some available comparison values are
- EMEG (environmental media evaluation guide)
- CREG (cancer risk evaluation guide)
- RMEG (reference dose media evaluation guide)
- EPA maximum contaminant level
- Health Advisories for Drinking Water
- EPA Region III Risk-Based Concentration Tables
- EPA soil screening levels
- National Ambient Air Quality Standards
- Food and Drug Administration advisories
- state and local standards
Example of a comparison value calculation.
Calculating an EMEG for Aroclor 1254 in soil for an adult
- Page last reviewed: May 31, 2016
- Page last updated: May 31, 2016
- Content source: