Module One - Test Your Knowledge Quiz
1. Which of these groups is usually designated as one of the most sensitive sub-populations for exposures to toxic substances?
a. Adult women
c. Adult men
2. You have worked at a chemical facility for 10 years. The facility does not require protective equipment, and you have developed a number of serious health affects in the last 7 years. You are possibly experiencing what type of exposure?
3. You are worried about contamination of vegetables grown in contaminated soils. What type of toxicologist would you contact?
4. You are concerned about risks associated with growing vegetables in soil with high lead and arsenic concentrations. You are speaking of what type of substance?
5. The larger the amount of exposure and the greater the dose, the greater the observed response, or effect.
6. What type of toxicologist takes samples of your blood, urine and hair for testing?
7. Toxic agents can be classified in terms of their physical state, their effects, and their source.
8. Which agency deals with the health effects that may occur from environmental exposure to toxic chemicals?
a. The Environmental Protection Agency
b. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
c. The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
d. The Nuclear Regulatory Commission
9. Which database has information on emergency handling procedures, environmental data, regulatory status and human exposure?
10. HazDat contains information on hazardous substances found at NPL and non-NPL waste sites, and on emergency events.
11. The no observed adverse effect level (NOAEL) is the same as the no effect level (NEL).
12. The term toxicant is used when talking about toxic substances that are produced by or are a by-product of human-made activities.