How to Use This Course
The goal of Case Studies in Environmental Medicine (CSEM) is to increase the primary care provider’s knowledge of hazardous substances in the environment and to help in evaluation and treatment of potentially exposed patients. This CSEM focuses on radon toxicity.
Two versions of the Radon Toxicity CSEM are available.
- The HTML version https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/csem/radon/cover-page.html provides content through the Internet.
- The downloadable PDF version [PDF – 1.05 MB] provides content in an electronic, printable format, especially for those who may lack adequate Internet service.
- The HTML version offers interactive exercises and prescriptive feedback to the user.
To make the most effective use of this course:
- Take the Initial Check to assess your current knowledge about radon toxicity.
- Read the title, learning objectives, text, and key points in each section.
- Complete the progress check exercises at the end of each section and check your answers.
- If you wish to obtain continuing education credit, complete and submit your assessment and posttest response online. Continuing education certificates can be printed immediately on completion.
This course is designed to help you learn efficiently. Topics are clearly labeled so that you can skip sections or quickly scan sections with which you are already familiar. This labeling will also allow you to use this training material as a handy reference. To help you identify and absorb important content quickly, each section is structured as follows:
|Title||Serves as a “focus question” that you should be able to answer after completing the section|
|Learning Objectives||Describes specific content addressed in each section and focuses your attention on important points|
|Text||Provides the information you need to answer the focus question(s) and achieve the learning objectives|
|Key Points||Highlights important issues and helps you review|
|Progress Check exercises||Enables you to test yourself to determine whether you have mastered the learning objectives|
|Answers||Provides feedback to ensure you understand the content and can locate information in the text|
Upon completion of the Radon Toxicity CSEM, you will be able to:
|What is Radon?||
|Where is Radon Found?||
|What are the Routes of Exposure to Radon?||
|Who is at Risk of Radon Exposure?||
|What are the Standards and Regulations for Environmental Radon Levels?||
|What are the Potential Health Effects from Exposure to Increased Levels of Radon?||
|How do you Clinically Assess a Patient Potentially Exposed to Increased Levels of Radon?||
|How Should Patients Potentially Exposed to Increased Radon Levels be Treated and Managed?||
|What Instructions Should Be Given to Patients to Reduce Potential Health Risks from Exposure to Radon?||