Toxic Substances Portal
ATSDR’s Toxic Substances Web Portal makes it easy for researchers and individuals to find information about toxic chemicals, understand how these chemicals can affect health, and learn how to prevent exposure.
Asbestos, formaldehyde, arsenic, lead—many of us know that these substances are potentially dangerous. But do we know the levels at which they become toxic or the specific health effects of exposure? What about the toxic substances we hear about in the news—mercury in canned tuna, BPA in plastic, cadmium in jewelry? Visit the Toxic Substances Portal to learn about the health hazards of these substances and the dangers of exposure.
The Toxic Substances Portal features a search engine that facilitates finding substances by substance name, CAS number (Chemical Abstract Service registry number), synonym, or trade name. Users are also able to search for substances in other ways.
Health care professionals can search the Toxic Substances Portal for specific information about health effects caused by exposure to toxic substances.
Toxicological resources are arranged by:
- Health effects – substances that may have effects on organ systems (e.g., cardiovascular or respiratory systems)
- Chemical class – metals, pesticides, and volatile organic compounds
Toxicological resources are tailored by audience:
- Community members who seek simple but accurate information about chemicals and their health effects
- Toxicological and public health professionals who want specific information about toxicity and associated health risk levels
- Emergency responders, emergency department physicians and other professionals who manage sudden chemical exposure incidents
- Healthcare providers who can use free evidence-based medical education courses addressing the clinical health effects of hazardous substances
Toxicological resources are tailored by product:
- Toxicological Profiles (ToxProfiles): detailed synthesis of the peer-reviewed scientific literature on the toxicological and adverse health effects of each substance
- ToxFAQs: fact sheets written in plain language that answer the most frequently asked questions about a toxic substance and its health effects
- ToxGuides: quick reference guide providing information such as chemical and physical properties, sources of exposure, routes of exposure, minimal risk levels, children’s health, and health effects for a substance
Browse through the Toxic Substances Portal today!