Federal Research Action Plan on Recycled Tire Crumb Used on Playing Fields and Playgrounds
Concerns have been raised by the public about the safety of recycled tire crumb used in playing fields and playgrounds in the United States. Limited studies have not shown an elevated health risk from playing on fields with tire crumb, but the existing studies do not comprehensively evaluate the concerns about health risks from exposure to tire crumb.
Because of the need for additional information, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) are launching a multi-agency action plan to study key environmental human health questions. This coordinated federal action includes outreach to key stakeholders, such as athletes and parents, and seeks to fill important data and knowledge gaps, characterize constituents of recycled tire crumb, and identify ways in which people may be exposed to tire crumb based on their activities on the fields. The Federal Research Action Plan includes numerous activities, including research studies. While additional research questions may require evaluation beyond this year, the information will help answer some of the key questions that have been raised.
The specific objectives of this research effort are to:
- Determine key knowledge gaps.
- Identify and characterize chemical compounds found in tire crumb used in artificial turf fields and playgrounds.
- Characterize exposures, or how people are exposed to these chemical compounds based on their activities on the fields.
- Identify follow-up activities that could be conducted to provide additional insights about potential risks.
Documents and Sources of More Information
Federal Research Action Plan on Recycled Tire Crumb Used on Playing Fields and Playgrounds Status ReportExternal
On Friday, December 30, 2016 the CDC/ATSDR, EPA, and CPSC released a status reportExternal describing the progress of their research to date.
The status report includes the final peer-reviewed Literature Review and Data Gaps Analysis report and describes the progress to date on other research activities that are part of the effort including:
- Characterization of the chemicals and materials found in tire crumbs.
- Characterization of the exposure scenarios for those who use turf fields containing tire crumbs.
- Study to better understand how children use playgrounds containing tire crumbs.
- Outreach to key stakeholders including states, relevant federal agencies, international government agencies, non-governmental organizations, industry, field users and others that have researched tire crumb or have research underway and/or that can provide expertise to inform the federal study
- Science In Action: Federal Research Action Plan on Recycled Tire Crumb Used on Playing Fields and Playgrounds Cdc-pdf[PDF – 113 KB]External
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Limited Study on the Use of Recycled Tire Materials on Turf Fields webpageExternal
For Media Inquiries, please contact email@example.com or 770-488-0700