Public Health Activities
Health Consultations, Public Health Assessments, and Health Investigations
A Health Consultation (HC) provides advice on a specific public health issue related to real or possible human exposure to toxic substances. Health Consultations are a way for ATSDR to respond quickly to a need for health information on toxic substances and to make recommendations for actions to protect the public’s health. A health consultation may look for:
- Levels of hazardous substances
- If and how people might be exposed to hazardous substances (through breathing air, drinking water, eating food, or coming into contact with soil)
- What harm the substances might cause to people and whether working or living nearby might affect people’s health.
A Public Health Assessment (PHA) provides health information about a particular site that is greater in detail than a Health Consultation. PHAs showcase three types of information:
- Environmental data, including information about contaminants and how people come into contact with them.
- Health data, including available information on community-wide rates of illness, disease, and death compared with national and state rates; and,
- Community concerns, such as reports from the public about how the site affects their health or quality of life.
A Health Investigation is a collection and evaluation of information about the health of community residents. This information is used to describe or count the occurrence of a disease, symptom, or clinical measure and to evaluate the possible association between the occurrence and exposure to hazardous substances.
Since 1994, ATSDR has released the following six reports for the LCP Chemicals site:
- Public Health AssessmentCdc-pdf, LCP Chemicals Superfund Site and Adjacent Areas, Brunswick, Georgia.
- February 4, 2008 – Arco Quarry Fish Tissue Sampling – Health ConsultationCdc-pdf [PDF, 1.03 MB]
- June 16, 2005 – Arco Neighborhood 2004 Soil Samples LCP Chemicals Site (Public Comment Release) – Health ConsultationCdc-pdf [PDF, 705 KB]
- July 1999 – Consumption of Seafood and Wildgame Contaminated With Mercury – Final ReportCdc-pdf [PDF, 3.14 MB]
- October 2, 1996 – LCP Chemicals – Health ConsultationCdc-pdf [PDF, 7.15 MB]
- August 22, 1994 – LCP Chemicals – Health ConsultationCdc-pdf [PDF, 2.05 MB]