APPLETREE Funding Announcements for FY 2017-2019
Cooperative Agreement Funding Announcements
ATSDR awards nearly $10.5 million annually to 25 state health departments for fiscal year (FY) 2017-2019. The states will use the funding to evaluate past and present exposure to environmental hazards and to prevent future exposures. ATSDR is a federal public health agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and sister agency of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The cooperative agreement program, ATSDR’s Partnership to Promote Local Efforts to Reduce Environmental Exposure (APPLETREE), will give states resources and guidance to assess and respond to site-specific issues involving exposure to hazardous substances in the environment. These activities include
- identifying exposure pathways at specific sites,
- reviewing environmental and health data to identify potential health risks from exposures,
- making recommendations to prevent exposures, and
- educating affected communities and local health professionals about site contamination and potential health effects at sites.
During this funding cycle, funded states will also use program awards to develop plans and take action to protect children from environmental hazards through the safe siting of early care and education facilities.
The safe siting of early care and education facilities will include a review of
- former uses of a site that may have left harmful substances on the property (both building and land),
- possible migration of harmful substances onto the site from nearby properties or activities,
- any naturally occurring harmful substances on site, and
- access to safe drinking water at the site.
The following state health departments will receive APPLETREE Program funding during FY 2017-2019. *Asterisks denotes new grantees to the program for this funding cycle.
The APPLETREE program is critical to ATSDR’s success in accomplishing its mission to protect people’s health from environmental hazards that can be present in the air they breathe, the water they drink, or the food they eat. For a copy of the Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA), visit: https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/states/docs/CDC-RFA-TS17-1701_508.pdf [PDF - 985KB]
- Page last reviewed: March 20, 2017
- Page last updated: March 20, 2017
- Content source: