How to Use This Course
Course: WB 4342
CE Original Date: March 20, 2020
CE Expiration Date: March 20, 2022
Download Printer-Friendly version pdf icon[PDF – 859 KB]
Case Studies in Environmental Medicine’s goal is to increase the primary care provider’s knowledge of hazardous substances in the environment and to help in evaluation and treating of potentially exposed patients. This case study focuses on ethylene glycol and propylene glycol toxicity.
Two versions of the Ethylene Glycol/Propylene Glycol Toxicity CSEM are available.
- The HTML version (To be added after clearance during Web production) provides content through the Internet.
- The downloadable PDF version (To be added after clearance during web production) provides content in an electronic, printable format, especially for those who might lack adequate Internet service.
- The HTML version offers interactive exercises and prescriptive feedback to the user.
Follow these steps to make the most effective use of this course:
- Take the Initial Check to assess your current knowledge about ethylene glycol and propylene glycol toxicity.
- Read the title, learning objectives, text, and key points in each section.
- Complete the progress check exercises at the end of each section and check your answers.
- Complete and submit your assessment and posttest response online if you want continuing education credit. You can print continuing education certificates immediately after course completion.
This course is designed to help you learn efficiently. Topics are clearly labeled; you can skip sections or quickly scan sections with which you are already familiar. This labeling also allows you to use this training material as a handy reference. To help you identify and absorb important content quickly, we’ve structured each section as follows:
|Title||Serves as a “focus question” you should be able to answer after completing the section|
|Learning Objectives||Describes specific content addressed in each section and focuses your attention on important points|
|Text||Provides the information you need to answer the focus question(s) and achieve the learning objectives|
|Key Points||Highlights important issues and helps you review|
|Progress Check exercises||Enables you to test yourself to determine whether you have mastered the learning objectives|
|Progress Check answers||Provides feedback to ensure you understand the content and can locate information in the text|
After completing the Ethylene Glycol and Propylene Glycol CSEM, you will be able to accomplish the following:
|Content Area||Learning Objectives|
|What Is Ethylene Glycol?||
|Where Is Ethylene Glycol Found?||
|What Are Routes of Exposure to Ethylene Glycol?||
|Who Is at Risk of Exposure to Ethylene Glycol?||
|What Are U.S. Regulations and Guidelines for Ethylene Glycol Exposure?||
|What Is the Biologic Fate of Ethylene Glycol?||
|What Are the Toxicological Effects of Ethylene Glycol Poisoning?||
|Clinical Assessment – History and Physical Exam||
|Clinical Assessment – Laboratory Tests||
|How Should Patients Exposed to Ethylene Glycol Be Treated and Managed?||
|What Is Propylene Glycol?||
|What Instructions Should You Give to Patients Regarding Ethylene Glycol/Propylene Glycol Exposure?||