Course Title: Public Health Assessment Overview 1 – Mission and Community
Format: Web-Based Training Module
Presented by: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry
This course is to instruct public and environmental health professionals on the basic principles of the public health assessment process and the role of ATSDR in protecting public health. In addition, it covers the importance of involving community members in the public health assessment process and describes methods to facilitate two-way communication.
After completing this course, participants will be able to
- Describe ATSDR’s role in addressing public health issues at hazardous waste sites,
- List the four main activities included in the public health assessment process,
- Discuss three types of information that could be used to develop a site-specific communications strategy, and
- Describe four communication methods that could be used in communities affected by a hazardous waste site.
This web-based module has been designed for public and environmental health professionals who participate in the environmental health assessment process at the local and state level. The audience includes health assessors, environmental health specialists, epidemiologists, toxicologists, public health advisors, health educators/communicators, community involvement specialists, physicians, nurses, program managers, and administrators.
Public Health Assessment Overview 1: Mission and Community is a basic, introductory course intended for public health professionals. No additional knowledge or skills are required beyond those required for professional credentialing.
Faculty and Credentials:
- Kris Larson, MHEd, Lead Health Education Specialist, DHAC/ATSDR– Subject Matter Expert and CHES Advisor
- Wilma López, BS, MS, Health Communication Specialist, NCEH/ATSDR– Web Coordinator
- Sandra M. López-Carreras, BS, MS, Health Scientist, DHAC/ATSDR– Project Manager and Subject Matter Expert
- Lourdes Rosales-Guevara, MD, Medical Officer, DHAC/ATSDR– Subject Matter Expert and CME Advisor
- Hilda Shepeard, MBA, PhD, Branch Chief, HPCIB/DHAC/ATSDR– Subject Matter Expert
- Matthew Sones, MS, MPH, Deputy Branch Chief, HPCIB/DHAC/ATSDR– Subject Matter Expert
- María Terán-McIver, BS, MSN, Senior Program Management Officer, DHAC/ATSDR– Subject Matter Expert and CNE Advisor
- Eastern Research Group and Oak Ridge National Laboratory/CyberScience Design: Web-Site Development
Sandra M. López-Carreras, BS, MS