How to Use This Course
CE Original Date: June 12, 2017
CE Renewal Date: June 12, 2019
CE Expiration Date: June 12, 2021
The goal of the ATSDR Case Studies in Environmental Medicine (CSEM) series is to increase the primary health care provider’s knowledge of hazardous substances in the environment and to promote medical practices that aid in the prevention, evaluation and care of potentially exposed patients. This CSEM focuses on lead toxicity.
Two versions of the Lead Toxicity CSEM are available.
- The HTML version (to be added after clearance during web production) provides content through the Internet.
- The downloadable PDF versionpdf iconpdf icon provides content in an electronic, printable format, especially for those who may lack adequate Internet service.
- The HTML version offers interactive exercises and prescriptive feedback to the user.
To make the most effective use of this course,
- Take the Initial Check to assess your current knowledge about lead toxicity.
- Read the title, learning objectives, text, and key points in each section.
- Complete the progress check exercises at the end of each section and check your answers.
- Complete and submit your assessment and posttest response online if you wish to obtain continuing education credit. Continuing education certificates can be printed immediately upon completion.
This course is designed to help you learn efficiently. Topics are clearly labeled so that you can skip sections or quickly scan sections you are already familiar with. This labeling will also allow you to use this training material as a handy reference. To help you identify and absorb important content quickly, each section is structured as follows:
|Title||Serves as a “focus question” that you should be able to answer after completing the section.|
|Learning Objectives||Describes specific content addressed in each section and focuses your attention on important points.|
|Text||Provides the information you need to answer the progress check question(s) and achieve the learning objectives.|
|Key Points||Highlights important issues and helps you review.|
|Progress Check exercises||Enables you to test yourself to determine whether you exercises have mastered the learning objectives.|
|Progress Check Answers||Provide feedback to ensure you understand the content and can locate information in the text.|
Upon completion of the Lead Toxicity CSEM, you will be able to:
|Section Title||Learning Objectives|
|What Is Lead?||Explain what lead is.|
|Where Is Lead Found?||Describe potential sources of lead exposure in the United States today.|
|What Are Routes of Exposure to Lead?||Identify the most common routes of exposure to lead in the United States today.|
|What Are U.S. Standards for Lead Levels?||
|What Is the Biological Fate of Lead in the Body?||
|What Are Possible Health Effects from Lead Exposure?||
|Clinical Assessment – Exposure History||
|Clinical Assessment – Signs and Symptoms||
|Clinical Assessment – Diagnostic Tests and Imaging||
|How Should Patients Exposed to Lead Be Treated and Managed?||
|What Instructions Should Be Given to Patients?||