Barriers to Risk Communication Evaluation
Every program manager faces constraints to undertaking optimal evaluation tasks, just as there are constraints to designing other aspects of a risk communication program.
These constraints may include the following:
- limited funds
- limited staff time and capabilities
- length of time allotted to the program
- limited access to computer facilities
- agency restrictions to hiring consultants or contractors
- policies limiting the ability to gather information from the public
- management perceptions regarding the value of evaluation
- levels of management support for well designed evaluation activities
- difficulties in defining (or establishing) agency consensus regarding the objectives of the program
- difficulties in designing appropriate measures for risk communication programs
- difficulties in separating the effects of program influences from other influences on the target audience in "real world" situations.