Evaluation Tool: Risk Message Checklist
Information About the Nature of Risks
- What are the hazards of concern?
- What is the probability of exposure to each hazard?
- What is the distribution of exposure?
- What is the probability of each type of harm from a given exposure to each hazard?
- What are the sensitivities of different populations to each hazard?
- How do exposures interact with exposures to other hazards?
- What are the qualities of the hazard?
- What is the total population at risk?
Information About the Nature of Benefits
- What are the benefits associated with the hazard?
- What is the probability that the projected benefit will actually follow the activity in question?
- What are the qualities of the benefits?
- Who benefits and in what ways?
- How many people benefit and how long do benefits last?
- Which groups get a disproportionate share of the benefits?
- What is the total benefit?
Information on Alternatives
- What are the alternatives to the hazard in question?
- What is the effectiveness of each alternative?
- What are the risks and benefits of alternative actions and of not acting?
- What are the costs and benefits of each alternative and how are they distributed?
Uncertainties in Knowledge About Risks
- What are the weaknesses of available data?
- What are the assumptions on which estimates are used?
- How sensitive are the estimates to changes in assumptions?
- How sensitive is the decision to changes in the estimate?
- What other risk and risk control assessments have been made, and why are they different from those being offered?
- Who is responsible for the decision?
- What issues have legal importance?
- What constrains the decision?
- What resources are available?